Hello friends and family.
We have landed on Denman. We’ve moved our belongings into Herb and Barb’s sauna/guest cabin and we’ve set ourselves up to stay for a while. Last night I felt like I might be coming down with a cold. It’s gotten a bit better today though… knock on wood.
I’m feeling happy to be here, a little bit damp from the rain that is and will be falling for a while. I’m missing Ontario too, and you. Ontario is a fine place to be really. People are the same everywhere. Travelling through BC, stopping in various cities and towns, it struck me how much people are the same, anywhere you go. When I lived in Nelson and only really visted Denman island, I got to know BC as a hippy paradise where everyone grows food and cares about the earth… but it’s not all that way. There seem to be just as many political problems and disputes here… dams going into waterways, Olympics coming, job cuts, cuts to health care and hugely to education.
We played our show at the Lynn Valley United Church on Friday night. The concert raised $515.oo for Haiti, so that was a nice success. It was a little bit odd playing in a church – quite different from bars and restaurants. The people were very appreciative though. I was worried about saying the wrong things, but apparently that didn’t matter. One lady in the front kept nodding out during the show. Her neck was limp and her head falling in to her chest for the majority of it. I can’t imagine her sitting through a church service.
We still don’t know where we’re going to settle down. I really want a place before summer so that if any of you want to come visit, there will be space. Not much space in the Sauna. We do have a house sit from the end of February unitl the middle of April, so if anyone feels like a trip out at that point… we will have space for a little while.
We’re looking forward to starting some gardens and making a home somewhere where we are going to stay for a while. Don’t know when that’s going to be.
Tomorrow I have a job interview for a graphic design/office assistant job on the island. The job description fits, but the days don’t. It’s Wednesdays and Saturdays. That means no shows off island on Fridays or Saturdays, basically. And I don’t think they’d be ok with me heading to Ontario in the summer. So it’s not sounding ideal, but maybe they’ll want some work done anyway. I can do most Saturdays.
I’m at a friend of Herb’s right now. This house has internet. There’s an internet room available in town a few days a week, so I’ll be able to check in once in a while. I’ll let you know what’s going on. Let me know what’s up in your lives.
Xo
Ashlea.
No comments:
Post a Comment