Two days ago we made the trip from Sakatchewan to Lethbridge, Alberta. We arrived at Mel and Tyler’s place just in time to go out for a late Ethiopian dinner downtown. That was, of course, a great start to our time in Lethbridge.
We’ve had a lot of fun catching up with Mel and Tyler. Both of them are in school full time at the University of Lethbridge; Tyler taking a Fine Arts program and Mel having recently shifted from psychology/anthropology to Neuroscience, of all things. (I think it’s called Neuroscience…) They are also working, Mel at a fine dining restaurant and Tyler teaching music lessons and writing for an on-line arts blog/magazine and the school paper.
Last night we played our show/hosted an open mic night at Henotic Restaurant. Tyler had set the gig up for us. It was extremely fun and we met a lot of really cool people and some great musicians too. We started the night off with a five-song set, and then I introduced each open mic act and helped them set up. We played another set in the middle of the night, which was supposed to be five songs, but I cut us down to two because there were so many people signed up to play.
About 10 different people used my guitar to play their set. I really liked that. I like sharing my guitar, because you never know who the people playing it are, or who they will become. I feel like sharing your instrument created a nice connection with people.
It’s been a long long time since I played at an open mic, and I enjoyed seeing other people get nervous. Not to be mean, but because it reminds me of have far I’ve come. I remember starting out, getting on stage and being afraid to talk or open my mouth for fear that I would throw up instead. I would only open my mouth to sing, and wouldn’t say much because there were too many butterflies. There was definitely at least one girl who was that nervous last night. Once I called her up on stage she became unable to speak or function. I had to sit her down and set her up, plug in her (my) guitar, adjust her mic…. She didn’t say a word and nervously sang her songs. Once her set was over she came back to life a little, and a little more once she was off stage for a while. It brought back memories of starting out. I just wanted to encourage her to keep doing it. It gets easier…. Waaayyy easier.
There was a stand-up-comic who was absolutely horrible, and disgusting. I think he’d just decided that disgusting equaled funny, so he just thought of the most rude, disgusting, degrading things he could think of. It started out ok-ish, and most people laughed out of sympathy at least. But then it just got to be way to disgusting and too much information. People stopped laughing, it was pretty awkward. Early in the evening, during my set, I’d told the audience that the microphone was oddly sticky. During the “comedian’s” set I was thinking about how gross he was and that I didn’t want to use the microphone after him. So I went up after his set and said “Now I know why the microphone is sticky.” I only really heard Tyler and one other person laugh, but apparently other people were laughing too. Tyler and Mel said it was the best joke. That mad me happy. I know it doesn’t sound very funny now, but I generally don’t deliver jokes well, so it was a notable moment, at least for me. Ironcially, I actually felt really bad after I said it… bad for the guy who just made every woman in the room feel violated squirm in disgust. So I said; “I don’t get to hear stand-up comedy very often, so that was something new for me. Thanks!”
I’m giving way too much information, aren’t I? This is why I have a facebook for family and close friends only.
Anyway, there were some really great musicians as well, and some really nice people. I’m going to look them all up on MySpace and if I find them, I’ll try and keep you posted. Lethbridge is a town full of talent. Mel and Tyler both got up and sang/played songs, which were really awesome. I sang harmonies with Mel on a song we did together about 6 years ago. We practiced it once before the show, it was pretty risky business, I thought. But we got through it. Oli played bass for Tyler who sang a couple great covers and a raunchy original. (Raunchy on purpose, not raunchy like the comic.)
Oli was actually the star that night – he accompanied a whole bunch of people on bass, and once on the “box” which is a cool percussion instrument.
Anyway, it was really fun. I didn’t drink even a drop of wine, because I’d had too much booze the previous nights and wasn’t feeling like I could do it again and stay healthy. But I had a helluva lot a fun just the same.
Today Oli and I walked to the Lethbridge “bridge” which is a really big and long train bridge, the biggest and longest of it’s kind in the world according to a plaque near it. It goes over the crows nest, a sort of hilly/mountainy ravine that cuts through the flat ground alongside the city. Then we went a did a few errands, and met up with Mel who took us to some neat stores down town. I bought some new hiking boots, which I desperately needed since mine were falling apart in many places and hurting my feet. Now I have some super-tough high-top boots that would have been really expensive if they weren’t on sale for expensive, but not super expensive.
Lethbridge is a pretty cool town, I think. Or city. Small city. I like it. I look forward to returning.
Now we’re back and Mel and Tyler’s. Tyler’s left for a conference in Edmonton this morning, and Mel’s at work. Oli and I are just taking advantage of their wireless and their laundry machine.
Tomorrow we head off to Fernie. We’re playing two nights at The Brickhouse. It’s supposed to be a great place. We’re staying at a nice hotel and are hoping to do some snowboarding. (Well, Oli will “do some boarding” and I will attempt to stay upright for more than 2.5 seconds.) We’ve been trying to find some friends who want to join us in our fancy hotel, but haven’t had luck. Mel was going to come, but she’s swamped with school, and Tyler is at the conference. Maybe someone will join us, but so far it looks like we’re going to be alone. Which is nice, but it’s a shame to have these fancy accommodations and for no one else to benefit. I’m always about getting bang for my buck.
Well, that’s it for now. I’ll have another update after Fernie. On Sunday we’re heading to Nelson, where Oli and I met and lived, and where I met Mel, Tyler and Kyle. We’ll see Anna, Oli’s sister and a few friends who we haven’t seen in a few years. It’s pretty exciting and I’m thinking it’s going to be very strange and nostalgic, but in a good way.
This trip is fun. We’re feeling good about doing more touring… AND visiting.
Love
Ash
No comments:
Post a Comment